The Malaysian Red Crescent (MRC) began in 1948 as a State of the British Red Cross Society in Sabah and Sarawak. Upon independence in 1957, MRC State branches in the Malayan Peninsula were organised as the Federation of Malaya Red Cross Society. This was later statutorily incorporated by the Federation of Malaya Red Cross Society (Incorporation) Act, 1962.
The MRC received offcial recognition as an independent National Society from the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) on 4 July 1963. It was admitted as a member of the International League of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies on 24 August 1963.
With the Federation of Malaysia formation on 16 September 1963, an Act to incorporate the Federation of Malaya Red Cross Society and the British Red Cross Society State branches in Sabah and Sarawak under the name ‘Malaysian Red Cross Society’ was passed by Parliament via the Malaysian Red Cross Society (Incorporation) Act 1965.
In 1975, the Malaysian Parliament passed the Malaysian Red Cross Society Act 1975, changing the organisation’s name to its current name, the Malaysian Red Crescent Society (MRCS). Both Acts were revised and updated in 1995 and are referred to as Act 540 today.
Presently, MRC is one of 190 National Societies that are members of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, which together with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) are components of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (Movement).
Malaysian Red Crescent© 2018