ASIAN MINISTERIAL CONFERENCE ON DISASTER RISK REDUCTION 2016
NEW DELHI, – This first Asian Ministerial Conference for Disaster Risk Reduction after the advent of the Sendai Framework is hosted by the Government of India in November 2016. As a follow-up from the 6th Asian Ministerial Conference outcome (2014) and as a requirement of the Sendai Framework, the intended outcome of the conference in India will be to adopt an ‘Asia Regional Plan for Implementation of the Sendai Framework’. The opening ceremony is officiated by Prime minister of India.
The AMCDRR 2016 will provide a unique opportunity to shape the implementation and monitoring of the Sendai Framework in Asia.
The objectives of the AMCDRR 2016 conference are as follows:
1. Transforming the commitment of governments and stakeholders made in Sendai during the WCDRR into national and local action.
2. Setting the direction to accelerate regional implementation and monitoring of the Sendai Framework.
The expected outcome of the conference will be the following:
1. A political declaration – consolidating the political commitment of governments towards preventing and reducing risk as well as strengthening resilience by accelerating implementation and monitoring of the Sendai Framework in the region.
2. ‘Asian Regional Plan for Implementation of the Sendai Framework’ – a plan endorsed by the countries for the Asian region.
3. Stakeholder action statements – voluntary statements of action of stakeholder groups towards a ‘shared responsibility’ approach in implementation of the Sendai Framework.
Malaysian Red Crescent representative Mr Lai Wai Keat is invited to the conference to give a speech on Education: Promoting Educational Continuity and Resilience of Children and Community through Increasing Child- Focused Comprehensive School Safety in Different Contexts and Innovative Educational solutions)